17 March 2012

Springtime for Borisov

After five long, dark months of biting cold--and nearly as long a period of snowfall--spring has descended upon Sofia. Cue The Producers, Carmina Burana, and The Beatles.

I wouldn't go so far as to say we're into the warm part of Spring yet - give that another couple weeks. But when I walked out of the library yesterday, it was windbreaker weather, and the sun stayed out until nearly 7. And today was, for the sheer fact of Sofia's previously dismal temperatures, glorious. It got up to the 60's, and, for a few liberating moments, I walked around in my T-shirt, which felt just plain nice. And soon, mid-March will give way to April, and we'll really be talking.

I think I've coped reasonably well with my first prolonged winter in six years, but I'll be the first to admit that it's gotten me a little down, and I'm immensely happy that its last traces will soon be swept away. Sunny days will soon be here to stay, as evidenced today by the uplifting sight of a park full of happy, playing children. I even caught a few of their more gastronomically exuberant parents eating ice cream. All will soon be right with the world.

Yesterday, I finished the book I've been slogging through for the last couple of months, something else I'm overjoyed to be rid of. And today, Xristo and I pored over the last of my reading in Bulgarian. It didn't go so easily, as these last two articles were in the infuriatingly academic mold that goes out of its way to reiterate something in as many different ways as possible, deliberately taking several pages to impart knowledge that could be passed on in a paragraph. But finally, we finished with them, which leaves me one more paper to analyze before I move onto the next phase of my research in the archives. That insane, manic schedule I laid out in my previous post? One week down, and so far, so good.

Tomorrow, I will indulge in the awesome experience of visiting Berlin for the first time. Fellow Fulbright Compatriot Fred and I have a very early flight out, and we'll spend 4 days there, conferencing with other Fulbrighters from around Europe. It should be a scintillating time, as every account I've heard of Berlin has been of a ridiculously cool city, and getting to meet with Fulbrighters from other countries is guaranteed to be enjoyable. Laura will join me for the day, and we will bask in what promises to be a gorgeous weekend.

Tales from Berlin to follow. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment